MGM Resorts International, which owns Mandalay Bay and several other hotels on the Las Vegas Strip, canceled a signature show at the hotel in the wake of Sunday’s deadly mass shooting.
Earlier in the day, the resort chain told azcentral that it had canceled several popular Cirque de Soleil shows along the strip, including including “O” at Bellagio, “The Beatles Love” at Mirage and “Michael Jackson One” at Mandalay Bay.
At the time, MGM spokeswoman Yvette Monet said the Tuesday, Oct. 3 closings were out of continued respect for the victims of the tragedy.
However, later in the day, the resort’s communications team said they had given out inaccurate information and only the Michael Jackson show would be canceled.
Sunday night’s shooting killed 59 people attending the Route 91 Harvest country music festival across from Mandalay Bay. The shooter operated from a suite at Mandalay Bay.
MGM posted this messsge on Twitter Monday when it announced the first night of cancellations. Competitor Caesars Entertainment, whose hotels include Caesars, Paris Las Vegas and Planet Hollywood, also canceled shows on Monday.
Caesars’ shows will resume Tuesday, spokeswoman Talia Rothman said.
However, Jennifer Lopez’s show, which runs on on a scattered series of dates throughout the year in a Planet Hollywood Showroom, has been canceled for the week due to the shooting. The singer was scheduled to perform Wednesday, Friday and Saturday this week. The next Lopez shows are in February.
How to talk to your kids about the Las Vegas shooting
Allegiant Air offers free flights for Las Vegas shooting victims’ families
Will the Las Vegas shooting scare people away from the strip?
Powered by Day Break Times